US Water Systems Green Wave Cascade Water Softener – 2018 Review
The Green Wave Cascade is an alternative method of treating hard water problems compared using a conventional water softener systems. Check out this page if you want to discover how the different systems treat hard water.
The Green Wave Cascade stops scale building up in your system, blocking your pipes, coating your heating elements or causing the white streaks associated with hard water, without the use of salt. In essence, this is a salt free water softener – read more about salt-based vs. salt free water softeners here.
The Green Wave Cascade is not a water softener but does eliminate many of the problems that are caused with hard water. It works by changing dissolved minerals into undissolved micro-crystals by means of NAC (Nucleation Assisted Crystallization). Once the system is set up it is maintenance free apart from periodically changing the pre-filter.
Our Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
- Comes in 3 sizes - 10 GPG, 15 GPG and 20 GPG
- No maintenance required
- No electricity required
- No salt or additives required
- Made in the USA
- Expensive system when compared to other softeners
- Does not eliminate hard water - it just stops limescale forming
- High Treatment Rate – the Green Wave Cascade treats up to 12 gallons of water every minute (or over 17,000 gallons every day).
- Small Footprint – The Green Wave System is only 10” in diameter meaning that it takes up very little floor space. The pre-filter which measures 4 ½” in diameter and 20” longs is fitted on the inlet side of the system is wall mounted.
- Maintenance Free – There are no moving parts, the unit needs no electricity, no salt or back flushing or any of the other routine jobs that are common with water softeners. The only area that does need any attention is in the periodic replacement of the pre-filter.
- Dual Stage Carbon Pre-filter – cleans particulates from water before treatment. The pre-filter requires replacement once every 12 months.
- Warranty – The unit has a 100% warranty for three years and then a 50% warranty for the 4th and 5th years. Body parts have a limited lifetime warranty.
What We Liked About Green Wave Saltless Water Conditioner
Compact & slim – The small diameter of the Green Wave Cascade means that it can be easily fitted in most situations. The pre-filter is connected to the system by pipe which means that it can be fitted anywhere between the house water supply pipe and the system.
US Made – The Green Wave Cascade is manufactured in 100% in the United States.
Independently Tested – Studies carried out by the University of Arizona have shown that the NAC method used in the Green Wave Cascade system is the most effective for removing and preventing scale build up.
What We Didn’t Like About Green Wave Saltless Water Conditioner
Compatibility – The Green Wave Cascade system may not be compatible with any existing systems that you are using (e.g water filters). You would have to check this out prior to purchase.
Not a true Water Softener – The Green Wave Cascade is not a water softener in the conventional sense of the word. What it does instead is to alter the dissolved minerals into micro-crystals which removes the damage that hard water can cause to your pipes and heating elements. It also prevents the white markings that are familiar to those of us that are familiar with hard water. If you have extremely hard water, you may be better off with a salt-based system.
Initial Cost – The initial outlay for the system is not inexpensive, but that is mitigated by the maintenance free use and long life that the system has.
Best Suited For
- Customers that want an easy solution – There is no maintenance, no regeneration, nothing to add – safe to say it’s a very easy system to run in the background
- People on sodium restricted diets – There is no need for salts or additives with this system. The water that results is great for drinking.
- Limited space households – this system is slim and can just about fit anywhere
This is not a water softening system where the dissolved minerals are removed, it alters the state of these minerals to prevent them causing damage to our pipes and heaters, plus also preventing those annoying white marks that appear on anything that gets wet. The initial cost of the Green Wave Cascade system may put some potential purchasers off but over a short period of time the benefits over a water softening system will become more apparent – you will save money over time! The volume that this system produces is quite high though and if you are looking for a higher volume output then the initial cost comparison is very favourable. Overall this is a viable, proven and low maintenance alternative to conventional water softeners.
Our Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Looking for a different model water softener? Maybe you’re looking for a salt-based system? we’ve got you covered, check out the Water Softener Critic’s homepage here, for water softener reviews and comparisons.